Subtle Confessions of Noni Kanyora

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Crowd & Me.

Whenever i come on stage , i feel as if you are laughing at me
As if you are watching me very closely , watching for even a twitch
I look at you , looking at me
Your friends join me , all eyes on me
As is to say she's so this and that and trouble
What are you whispering , it cannot be good
The rest of the crowd grows anxious , wondering:
Why i do not begin?
I ignore your gaze , though i feel yours on me
The audience starts to mutter and whisper
They haunt me ,it's all about me
They are mocking me ,
They are mocking me ,
I stand there getting more and more paranoid
You smirk and turn to your friends
I look for my voice , i cannot speak
I cannot breathe
Help ,
They are laughing at me ,
They are laughing at me ,
Paranoia kicks in . . .
Bile swells up , i fight back tears
Their mass strength overpowers me
I can see it in their eyes
My heart is beating louder than their protests
They want to swallow me alive ,
They , his clan , his friends , his posse
Point of no return , all i do is stand my ground
His face , smirk , his eyes saying : you're forgettable , you're just the same
My head says to me : Breathe and let go
One last glance ,
The centre stage is calling me , i have to focus
I clench my wrists , i clear my dry throat
Silence , can you hear it
Silence . . .
The stage uplifted gives me strength to overpower the masses
The critics , the liars , the gossipers - yes , all of them
I demand that my presence be noticed.
I demand to shine , this is my moment.
I have worked so hard at this performance.
And dammit im gonna shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment